Cooper is a registered patent attorney with deep technical expertise in the fields of chemistry, biotechnology, and devices. He provides strategic intellectual property portfolio counsel to a wide range of clients, including major research institutions, multinational corporations, and startup companies.
Clients appreciate Cooper’s pragmatic approach to securing worldwide IP protection designed to help them achieve their business goals. By combining his science acumen and legal skills, Cooper protects client innovations related to microfluidics, small molecule and polymer chemistry, diagnostics, and devices. His work involves patent prosecution and opinion work, including the preparation of patentability, non-infringement, invalidity, inventorship, and freedom-to-operate opinions. He also performs due diligence analyses of patent portfolios for venture capital investments, mergers and acquisitions, and licensing opportunities.
Cooper’s doctoral research in the Whitesides laboratory at Harvard University employed a multidisciplinary approach to the study of microfluidic devices, bridging the fields of chemistry, materials science, engineering, and biology.
Cooper has co-authored articles for a number of scientific journals, including Science, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Accounts of Chemical Research, and Analytical Chemistry.
- Provided strategic advice to early stage companies for protecting small molecule and biologic clinical candidates.
- Managed U.S. and worldwide patent portfolio for publicly traded company covering FDA approved drug.
- Drafted and prosecuted patent applications for several prominent universities in areas of chemistry, green energy, and biotechnology.
- Counseled industrial device company from inception through multiple rounds of financing.
- Lead effort to defend company’s patent from invalidation in European opposition.
- Provided strategic advice to early stage and established companies for protecting diagnostic instrumentation and medical devices.
- Graduate Research Fellow, National Science Foundation
- Robert Karplus Prize Fellowship, Chemical Physics, Harvard University
- Academic Leadership Scholarship, Suffolk University Law School
- Outstanding Oral Presentation, Suffolk University Law School
- Goldwater Scholar