James DeCamp is a founding member of Clark+Elbing and a partner since 2002.
James counsels clients in nearly all facets of patent law, including patent prosecution, validity, inventorship, licensing, litigation, and infringement investigations. He enjoys working with clients to understand fully their circumstances and to obtain practical commercial outcomes.
James handles matters in a spectrum of technologies including agriculture, life sciences and medicine, molecular biology, and pharmaceutical sciences. His clients include companies, universities, medical centers, research institutions, and academic inventors, from North America, Europe, and Asia.
Before joining Clark+Elbing, James assisted in defending fundamental human growth hormone patents for Genentech before the U.S. International Trade Commission while at Fish & Richardson.
As a scientist, James was a Research Associate and Post-Doctoral Fellow in the Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology at Harvard University. His research included work in the areas of plant developmental biology, plant storage proteins, chloroplast and nuclear gene expression, chloroplast transformation, and protein chemistry.
- Initiated and formulated patent prosecution strategy resulting in 1.25 billion-dollar payment to our client
- Together with in-house and European counsel successfully defended, in an European opposition proceeding, a key patent covering a drug in Phase III clinical trials; in other instances, deployed strategies for revoking third party patents in opposition proceedings
- Successfully argued reversal of obviousness rejection on appeal before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Patent Trial and Appeals Board
- Developed a patent portfolio for protecting a humanized monoclonal antibody in clinical development which was licensed to a Fortune 500 company
- Drafted invalidity opinion forming the groundwork for settling a U.S. district court infringement action
- Framed patent strategy leading to 220 million-dollar IPO
- Prosecuted numerous worldwide patent applications in agriculture, food and beverage sectors