Michael’s practice combines his legal training with his scientific experience to help identify commercially relevant solutions for his clients.
Michael advises clients pursuing inventions in various fields of biotechnology, including gene, cell, and mRNA therapies, cancer therapeutics and diagnostics, infectious disease therapeutics, and molecular diagnostics.
As an experienced patent prosecutor, Michael is adept at obtaining strong global patent protection that provides commercial advantages in the marketplace. Michael represents many start-up biotechnology companies, helping them build a strong IP position from inception. Michael also provides counseling on infringement issues and post-issuance proceedings. Additionally, Michael has performed numerous IP due diligence analyses for acquisition and funding purposes, as well as for marketing and manufacturing clearances for biopharmaceutical products.
Michael’s doctoral research in Connie Cepko’s laboratory at Harvard Medical School focused on the intrinsic and extrinsic factors directing the cell fate choices of stem cells and progenitor cells.
- Has served as patent counsel for a successful pharmaceutical company since its inception through its public offering, securing world-wide patent protection for it lead clinical candidate
- Drafts and prosecutes patent applications for several prominent universities in areas of stapled peptides, molecular diagnostics, and infectious disease therapeutics.
- Advised numerous biotech and pharmaceutical companies during financings, including IPOs and PIPEs
- Assisted a publicly-traded company during negotiations of a $300M+ out-licensing agreement.
- Counseled a company developing a protein replacement therapy for an orphan indication during a $100M+ acquisition by a leading pharmaceutical company.
- Led team in conducting extensive investor IP due diligence review of a cell therapy company prior to significant investment.
- Performed freedom-to-operate, noninfringement, and invalidity analyses prior to launch of a major cancer therapy by a major biotechnology company.