Todd is a cell biologist and registered patent attorney focused on protecting innovations in the life sciences and pharmaceutical industries. He assists clients with the development and execution of an intellectual property strategy, including patent prosecution work, patentability searching, non-infringement and freedom-to-operate opinions, and due diligence, in the areas of biology, biotechnology, diagnostics, pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, orthopedic implants, and medical devices. His clients include multinational pharmaceutical companies, start-up biopharmaceutical companies, academic research institutions, and independent inventors here in the U.S. and around the world.
Todd also oversees the firm’s trademark practice, working primarily with clients in the drug discovery and medical device industries to help protect their brands, products, and domain names using comprehensive trademark strategies in the U.S. and abroad.
Todd’s doctoral studies in the laboratory of Dr. Judith White at the University of Virginia identified structural features of the Influenza virus hemagglutinin protein required for hemagglutinin-mediated viral/cell membrane fusion. His research employed cellular, molecular, and biophysical techniques.
Todd’s research has been published in the Journal of Cell Biology, Journal of Virology, and Molecular Biology of the Cell.
- Drafts and prosecutes numerous worldwide patent applications in autoimmune disease and cancer therapies, stem cell technologies, synthetic bone materials, and personalized medicine diagnostics.
- Assisted two small biotech companies in their acquisition by a large orthopedics company, which was based on patents covering FDA-approved medical devices.
- Developed an effective patent portfolio for prominent academic client covering antibody technologies for treating cancer and infectious disease.
- Successfully obtained patent protection for a small start-up, which was crucial for investor confidence during early-stage financing.
- Performed freedom-to-operate, noninfringement, and invalidity analyses prior to licensing deal involving a medical device for diagnosing and treating female urinary incontinence.
- Provided strategic advice to large pharmaceutical and early stage companies developing protein therapeutics as clinical candidates.
- Secured design patent protection for clients spanning a variety of disciplines.
- Assisted clients in securing trademark protection for pharmaceutical and device brands and website domain rights from cyber-squatters.